1.Planning-You have already planned to fail when you don’t plan at all. Planning is what gives clarity of direction. There are many roads that leads to the market. And I’m not talking about the modern market which has few gates that leads to it but a traditional market where everywhere leads to it.If you don’t plan your entry point into it which could be based on how near what you want to buy is , you’ll end up wandering in the whole market. Even what you have to buy must have been planned before going there. It can be confusing not knowing what to buy and yet knowing that you went to the market to buy something. Planning gives order ,direction and measurement to what must be done. When your journey is planned you have already made half of the journey and the rest is a smooth right .Don’t only plan , do a good and thorough planning. Plan your time, your resources and your nife ( nife is life in a typical Nigerian warri woman’s tongue).
2. Discipline– I have an adage that I value much it reads ” the race is against yourself to be what you ought to be” . We must be saved from ourselves to really make significant impact .The sport stars you see today had to be very disciplined at a point in their lives to be where they are now.They have had to subject their bodies to strenuous exercises, obey rules and their coaches. Discipline comes with self denial to a large extent. You make profit in business and you start jumping around town spending it, the business will soon crash if there is no discipline in reinvesting your profit into it. Must be disciplined in paying your bills to avoid government interferences.Discipline is the backbone of any venture in life.Be serious about your moves. Be serious about your business so that your team,stakeholders and your customers will be serious in their dealings with you.
3. Sacrifice– A hen physically loses weight while sitting on her eggs resulting from decreased feeding. Success in business cost what it cost. You’ll pay for your business growth and progress .What is sacrifice? It is going beyond what is required of you. There are parties you’ll ignore. Clothes you’ll refuse to buy all because you want to reach your goals. A farmer who plants some corn seeds only sacrifice in order to reap a large harvest of corn. Sacrifice is one of the hardest but fastest way to reach your goals.
4. Taking Risk – You probably have read “it is a risk not to be risky ” .If you are not taking risk then you are very risky you should be avoided. Risk are decisions taken in which the outcome can be favorable or unfortunate. When a risk is successful it can be a major milestone. You are advised to take risk but it’s not every risk that is what taking .Take measurable risk. Don’t take risk that you can’t afford.If the battle is bigger than the spoil of battle you had better drop the battle.
5.Patience – If you are not patient you can’t make anything. There are people who can’t be patient to watch a business succeed in 4 years time but are willing to work a job for 44 years. Every good thing takes time. Taking short cuts to get a hit in business will only cut the business short . You need patience to reap your sacrifices. You need patience to persevere . A hen sits on her eggs for 21 days ,patiently waiting and even if they don’t hatch she will still lay eggs again.
6. Sensitivity and Discernment– Not all business offers are worth your consideration. Be smart enough to pick the real and drop the counterfeit. I can tell a dubious business or moves from afar. Sensitivity and discernment looks somewhat similar. Sensitivity is to detect and perceive while discernment is to recognize what is what after much deep thinking.
7. Purpose– Purpose is what determines how you plan and which direction to go. That one purpose is broken down into objectives or missions and goals, that’s why there are many department within an organization. All are gearing towards one purpose .Help your team to maintain focus at all time. Without purpose people aimlessly do things. They don’t know what to expect from their engagements .Define your business purpose and let your team understand it.It will help you as the team leader to pass down quality directions as needed. Purpose is what determines how you plan, the kind of risk you’ll take and the kind of directions to give.Purpose is what empowers you to be disciplined.